Monday, April 16, 2007

My Little Girl


For 16 months I stayed strong. I never got into the habit of rocking the babies to sleep. All of my friends with one baby have a ritual that involves rocking for awhile. By the end of the day I was exhausted and the idea of spending an entire hour putting them to bed was torturous. I thought I was doing myself a favor by teaching them to fall asleep on their own. In the long run, I think it was a good decision. For the most part both Drew and Ella go to bed wonderfully. Well except for the last week. Ella has been having trouble. She cries and cries until I give in and hold her for a minute. She immediately drops her head to my shoulder and her whole body relaxes in my arms. All of my frustration and tiredness melt away as we quietly sway to a song in my head. When she is ready she pushes away and I lay her down for the night.
I can't help to notice that this has coincided with her new Independence. Up until the last few weeks she has clung to me in all arenas outside of our house. Now she just saunters off until I go to find her. I thought I was so ready for her to do her own thing, maybe she thought she was ready too.
But now at night, we get to reconnect and she gets to be my little baby for a little while longer.

No comments: