Monday, January 28, 2008

Elmo, Mary and the Bird

I never imagined being a mom to toddlers could challenge my brain this much...

TV watching has increased dramatically around here since Tyler came home and the temperature dropped. But it doesn't always help as much as I'd like it to: this morning as I was trying to feed Tyler I offered Drew Sesame Street as a distraction. He excitedly climbed onto his seat on the couch and settled in as I put the TV on. After about 1 minute he started asking for Sesame St. I answer back that this is Sesame St. Cut to 20 min later: Drew's face is soaked with tears, runny nose, and collapsing body in front of the tv shouting for Sesame St. I was failing at explaining that this is Sesame St, or better yet trying to figure out what the heck he wanted! Turns out Mike was right (he called in the middle of the mess) and Drew was waiting for Elmo. Apparently, Elmo IS Sesame St for Drew...sorry Big Bird.

A local second hand bookstore offers puppet shows for kids several times a week. We go occasionally and have enjoyed the many puppets including monkeys, farm animals, dinosaurs, insects, etc. About 2 months ago, Mike took them to a show that featured the bird (an orange and white non-descript thing) and Mary, a brown haired pig-tailed puppet. He came back to report that Ella was terrified of both puppets - I have no idea why. We returned to the puppet show about 2 weeks ago, to another show featuring Mary and the Bird - Ella was climbing into my lap and yelling "No Birdie!!!" I tried to stay as positive as possible and called the bird silly and laughed at him throughout the entire show (not so easy with an infant strapped to your body, a crying toddler strangling your neck, and another sitting on your foot). As luck would have it, Mary and the Bird were the stars of the puppet show again today. But, to my pleasant surprise, as soon as Ella saw the bird she yelled, "Silly Birdie!!" and laughed. Ha! I did something right!! Unfortunately, Mary sent Ella right back into my lap.

Are we having fun yet?!

No comments: