Sunday, April 7, 2013

Little Bits

I'm no fool. I know that time passes quickly. So, I take pictures on holidays and video my kids each year around their birthdays. I try to take notice and be present and appreciate where we are now. But still I worry. I worry because I forget. I forget the little things - the way they said a word funny, or what foods they didn't like, or how their little body felt curled into the crook of my arm. If they have to grow up, I should at least be able to remember.

This is what I want to remember from right now...

**The way they all call him "baby." The way he mimics them, follows them, and asks for them when they are gone. The way he pushed him in the swing that windy day when I ran to the car for a sweatshirt - how they didn't know I was gone or that I had come back. I want to remember how they looked at each other and smiled.
**How spunky she is. How much she loves sweatpants and despises tights. How she thinks she is so awesome at school and soccer and pretty much everything. How her hair feels in my fingers as I braid it. I want to remember her funny dance moves and ridiculous impressions of teenagers.

**I want to remember how little hands feel curled around just 2 or 3 of my fingers. How they love to sit so close to each other, sometimes on top of each other, when there are plenty of other seats. How he calls for me each morning and insists that I pour his juice and that I buckle his car seat and how he rewards me with kisses that smack.
 And then I need to remember that we are making memories at each stage and spending too much time mourning what has already passed will only distract me from the right now.

1 comment:

kdk said...

Gunner is such a good dog to put up with a head hug!! :)