Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Baby Steps

By 8 AM, I had said NO to the 3rd glass of juice, pushing, picking up Colby and throwing Leggos in the house. I felt like a failure.

And for some asinine reason I then took my kids shopping. Not the best choice on the day I wasn't supposed to say NO. Setting myself up for failure and my kids for miserableness.

But, then I rallied. We went to a park that borders a lake, drained for the winter. They rolled in sand, made sand angels, and threw sand. They took their shoes off. It was 47 degrees. I watched and laughed and oohed and ahhed at all the right moments. I was freezing, but I was positive and I let them be.

I'll have to work on bedtime though, because saying YES to 10 drinks of water, and just one more story 6 times is a little much.

Last night as I lay in bed, I reflected on my progress. I certainly said NO plenty of times, but I was aware which Im hoping is the first step. I also offered more opportunities for them to solve their own problems, to make their own decisions, and to take the lead. 

Progress, one little baby step at a time. 

No comments: