Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Freeze

Sometimes I find myself in a moment that I want to freeze. I usually reach for my camera at such times, but often times I chose not to. Instead I focus as hard as I can on the perfect details.

The way his face just peeks over the banister. How his long fingers wrap around the posts. The little stutter as he tries to find the words, the missing "l" sounds in whatever he is saying.

The way her ponytails swing as she turns to look at me. The emotion that pours from her pores and seeps into the room. The absolute perfect smattering of freckles that sprinkle across her nose.

His elbows when he runs. His scowl when he is mad. The way his little hands feel wrapped tight around my neck.

I remind myself to be present in the moment. But, sometimes I skip ahead trying to picture them when they are 16 bounding up the stairs or flat ironing their hair. I remind myself that I will look back on these moments and if I stop now to soak them in, then years from now I will be able to recall them. I will be able to close my eyes and see and feel and hear them just as they are today.

I am so thankful for today.

No comments: