Thursday, March 25, 2010

Return of the Mask

Spring brings warm weather, budding flowers and Drew's allergies. And when Drew gets allergies, he coughs and wheezes. The asthma word is thrown around and my head starts to spin.

I hate medicine. I hate to feel like Im altered in some way, and I hate to think that my kids are being changed by medicine. I don't trust pharmaceutical companies or the Academy of Pediatrics, not 100%. But, I also don't want my active, happy little boy to feel like he can't breathe. I worry about not giving him medicine, I worry about giving him too much.

Did parents in previous generations go through this? Maybe they trusted doctors more and just did as they were told. Maybe today we know too much, there is too much information available. Whatever the case, all parents just want to make the best decisions possible for their kids - and the struggle with what is the best is just part of the game.

In the meantime, Drew straps on his little dragon mask like the trooper that he is.

Man, I love this kid.

No comments: