Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Back to School


Well, technically this is just the beginning! Sure I could have found a preschool for Ella and Drew this Fall, but I didn't. Yes, they missed most cut-off dates because of their December bday. Yes, most schools are ridiculously expensive. But to be honest, I just want them with me. I would be insanely jealous of whatever adult got to be with them for a few hours a week. I am so addicted to these kids, I can't miss a minute!
So, we did the next best thing and signed up for a little Stepping Stones class. It is designed to help kids gradually separate from their mom/dad. (I said I was addicted, I didn't say I wanted them attached to each leg for the next 18 years!!)They love it and look forward to it each week. I stay in the waiting room with Tyler the majority of the time, but they both come running for me for Circle Time. According to the teachers this is very common. This week the 2 retired school teachers who run the program said, "Your kids are adorable and very chatty!" I swelled with pride.
My friends and I also began a co-op style home school preschool. My SIL Heidi did a similar idea with her friends and we knew of a few moms in town who also had successful programs. So each week one of us takes a turn being the teacher while the other mothers watch the little siblings. We are following a letter of the week curriculum and the kids are having a blast. I was the teacher last week and in the great Virta competitive style, I went way overboard!! But, the art project, songs, magic tricks, snacks, books, and activities all beginning with B were a big hit! Each week, Ella insists that next week she is going to be the teacher. She then turns to Drew and says, "Are you going to listen to me, Drew?" to which he replies, "Yes, Ella." He is going to be a great husband someday!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"She then turns to Drew and says, "Are you going to listen to me, Drew?" to which he replies, "Yes, Ella." He is going to be a great husband someday!"

Ah ha ha ha ha ha...can't wait to see you next week!