Friday, July 31, 2009

Panic


"Did you see where he went?"

I quickly scanned our group and counted my kids and our neighbor.

"Who?"

She was referring to her 18 month old son. We were in the National Museum of History in NYC on what must have been the busiest day in history - the place was packed.

The 9-year old neighbor was left in charge of three 3 year olds and Tyler T while my friend and I split up looking for the little guy. After 2 loops around the dinosaur room, I was feeling panicked. After 2 more loops I was frantic. My friend looked calm, but her eyes told a different story.

It was one of those situations where 10 minutes feels like 2 hours. On my last loop it felt so real - he was gone. I thought about his cute little smile and how trusting and open he is. As I went to find my friend to suggest looking for security, a woman came around the corner with him. I snatched him out of her arms, said a quick thank you, and ran for the middle of the room screaming my friends name at the top of my lungs.

Once we were all reunited, we both exhaled, she hugged the little guy and we acted nonchalant.

But I saw her eyes.

Maybe it happens to everyone, a parenting right of passage - a little reminder to keep them close.

It worked, I will.


photo courtesy of here

No comments: