Monday, February 23, 2009

The Blue Door

This morning Ella and Drew attended their first class without me. We have been talking about it forever. Sometimes they would seem excited, other times they would say they didn't want to do it. I wasn't sure what to expect.

They walked through that big blue door, actually Drew bounced through it like Tiger from Winnie the Pooh. They never turned back. Not a wave, or a hug, or a "mommy can you please come in?" I was so proud and probably beaming like a Cheshire Cat, thinking that maybe this separation stuff wasn't so bad. Who are these people that get so emotional on the first day of school?!

and then...

I peeked through the window. The carpet squares were arranged in a circle for songs and each child was choosing one to sit on. Ella and Drew sat next to each other, then looked at each other. They both stood up and pushed their carpet squares together and sat back down, shoulder to shoulder.

That was it. I lost it. Tears were coming fast and furious. They looked so cute sitting together. They are so loving towards each other. They supported each other. Maybe I am doing something right. At the very least I am lucky to be a fly on the wall, watching the show.

Tyler and I tried to go play, but both of us were drawn back to that blue door for the entire hour. Finally it opened and those two gorgeous smiling faces bounced out.

Ella yelled, "Im so proud of myself!!"

I couldn't be prouder.

No comments: