Friday, March 27, 2009

I Can Do It!


There is nothing I love to hear more than "I can do it myself!" Well, except when we are rushing, or it involves glass, or large amounts of liquids, or....well see, independence is great, but it comes with a price.

I love to see the expressions on their faces when they do something for the first time. Like flipping their coats over their heads to put them on, or pouring their own milk, or watching Tyler climb onto the couch. As adults the experience of mastering a new skill doesn't come often. But for kids it is all the time and the wonder of it- is that it doesn't lose it's wonder. It is awesome.

But like most things in life it comes with a price. And too often that price is paid by yours truly. Drew is so proud to pee standing up, but who knew how far pee could go or the surfaces it could hit? So there I am cleaning the bathroom, again while my little boy skips off. You want to pour your own milk? Sure! Let me get another roll of paper towels. You can wash your hands all by yourself? Great - let me just remember to turn the water off 10 min later and try not to slip on the soaking wet floor.

Sometimes the price for independence is a skinned knee or spilt milk - but mostly it is pure pride in the form of a giant smile, a huge hug, or a high five.

I think it is more than worth it.

No comments: