Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Seasons Change


I love when the seasons change. The crunch of leaves beneath our feet, the crisp air, the colors, taking sweaters out, comfy food, snuggling under an afghan. I think the kids enjoy it too and I love when they point out a pretty tree or a cool leaf.

When the seasons change it feels like a new chapter in the day to day. I love to set new goals, especially in Fall. I love thinking about new places to go, new recipes to try, books to read, etc. Although, if I could keep my goal setting to 4 times a year, I may be better off. I have always set goals: from losing weight, to better grades, to working on relationships. I might set 3-4 goals a day. I am always thinking of ways to make it better. "It" being anything. I think this is what made me pretty good as a counselor, I know how to evaluate, set goals, and follow through. I can't remember a time when I wasn't doing that.

I can see how this drive to improve can be seen as a dissatisfaction for what is. But, I don't think of this as a negative quality. I am truly happy with who I am, where I am, and what I am. I love my life. I am just constantly motivated to change. I can do both.

The problem is that I already see myself setting goals for my kids...they could be more independent, speak clearly, learn the alphabet, etc. I don't want them to interpret my goal setting as criticism, or internalize that they are not good enough. That would be the exact opposite of my intentions as a parent and would devastate me.

So, my new Fall goal is to lay off goal setting for the kids -maybe my best goal yet.

No comments: